ASEAN Young Professionals Volunteers Corps (AYPVC) is an initiative designed by the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports, Brunei Darussalam, to bring together young professionals from ASEAN member states to undertake voluntary community work in areas of their expertise in various locations.
AYPVC was officially endorsed during the ASEAN Youth Ministers Meeting (AMMY) in May 2013. Brunei as the host of the ASEAN Summit this year will pioneer this project with the help and support from various agencies.
A total of three projects were launched this year, where ASEAN volunteers were deployed to Cambodia, Indonesia and The Philippines to conduct volunteer programmes in areas of education, healthcare, agriculture, special needs care, disaster preparedness, community livelihood and environmental health.
AYPVC is expected to run for three years.
It is hoped that the involvement of young professionals through this initiative will not only contribute to the socio-cultural and economic development of the region, but also bring ASEAN people closer together. This in turn will contribute towards realising the ASEAN Community by 2015.
- To gather young professionals to provide assistance in areas of their expertise;
- To develop a sense of responsibility, obligations and duty towards ASEAN among young volunteers;
- To develop and empower the young volunteers with leadership, entrepreneurship and other skills;
- To promote awareness of ASEAN among the communities through exchange of knowledge and understanding of culture;
- To share the skills and expertise of young professionals / volunteers through volunteer work and training;
- To develop ways to improve NGO management capabilities while encouraging and promoting integrated community involvement.